Wednesday 9 May 2012

A spot of mischief and music in Doocastle




Whilst searching for data or any clues about the Burke's and Irwin's of Doocastle/Kilturra, I came across The Memoirs of Arthur O'Neill, a traveling harpist.  To my great amusement, Arthur's account of a 'session' in Irwin's is remarkably like those I remember in our home- only a hundred and fifty years later!


"I next went to Mr. Jones Irwin's of Streamstown, County Sligo. I am totally at a loss how to describe that gentleman's uncommon manner of living at his own house and amongst his tenantry. He had an ample fortune. He was an amateur [and] had four sons and three daughters, who were all such proficients in music that no instrument was unknown to them. There was at one time a meeting in his house of forty-six musicians, who played in the following order.

The three Miss Irwins at the piano3
Arthur O'Neill (myself), harp1
Gentlemen flutes6
Gentlemen violoncellos2
Common pipers10
Gentlemen fiddlers20
Gentlemen clarinets4
Total46

     At the hour this hospitable gentleman's customary meeting was finished, some guests contiguous to their own places went away, but those who lived some miles off remained ; and in order to accommodate them Mr. and Mrs. Irwin lay on chairs that night in the parlour. For my own part I never spent a more agreeable night, either in bed or out of bed."  The Memoirs of Arthur O'Neill (1734-1818) have been dictated ca. 1810 to Thomas Hughes, Bunting's copyist, and compiled from Bunting's mss. by Donal O'Sullivan (who took on division into chapters, chapter summaries, additions [in square brackets] and correct spelling of Irish phrases) 


My paternal great grandfather James Irwin ranked himself as a landholder in 1874 when his daughter Bridget married John Burke (my great Grandfather).  

No comments:

Post a Comment