Sunday 20 March 2016

Don’t talk to strangers ‘Patsy Hanley’

Sandymount Strand, Dublin 4


My parents were avid; possibly rabid listeners of traditional irish music.  We lived in Sandymount in a house overlooking the Irish Sea and lived a pleasurable life of existence. 

Over the wall at the end of our garden were Claremont Club and Railway Union with their tennis courts, cricket crease, rugby and hockey pitches.  There was even a Bowles green and of course a clubhouse and pavilion.

My altogether sophisticated musical palet at the age of 15 consisted of Marc Boland, The Doors, Carole King, The Rolling Stones


This ultra cool and happening place interspersed with  peaceful gentility could change overnight.  Many nights and mornings we came down to the large kitchen and find it strewn with empty Powers Whiskey bottles, Guinness and Smithwicks carcases all  stacked neatly in a corner and various instruments of musical destruction were lined up like a baggage cart in a railway station.  The Culchies had arrived and something musical had or was about to kick off. The regular suspects were Jimmy McGreevy, Big Tom Mulligan, Fred Finn & Peter Horan, Tommie Flynn & Josie McDermott. Molly O;Gorman from Kilkenny, and of course all the Regans, my mother's cousins would dock on their way from England.  

As I put on my school uniform and headed along the sea road to school, I was filled with resentment for I knew that the house, which was substantial, was going to turn into a smoke filled, full bore Fleadh.  Anyone up from the west for a recording gig at Ceomhaltas or with Ciaran Mac Mahuna was going to end up in our house sooner or later. 

On my return journey home, I spotted a familiar face on the bus….It was Patsy Hanley from Roscommon and I got the feeling he was a bit directionless so having introduced myself as a daughter of Peter & Renee,  we established that Patsy was a ‘bit late’ for a recording at Ceomhaltas.  Being polite, I offered to bring him and when he’d finished his gig I then realized he hadn’t a bed for the night.  So, there was only one thing for it; I’d bring him home.  Well no girl was as well praised for initiative and courtesy that night.  I was a mighty girl altogether!

Sarah & Pat Sweeney
Forty years later at the behest of John Carlos, I brought our Sarah to Strokestown.  She’d just got a fiddle and John said she’d have to try a session sometime.  In the door,  Patsy Hanley is ensconced and giving it full bore.  The place was packed and with a shake of his head he indicated to Sarah to sit beside him.  She went to great lengths to explain that she was only scraping the fiddle and couldn’t play anywhere near real musicians.  Patsy turned to face her and asked ‘who are you’ and Sarah pointed out me as her mother.  ‘I see’ sez Patsy…. ‘I suppose she told you not to talk to strangers too’.  With a laugh Sarah agreed and Patsy retorted ‘Well don’t heed her, when she was your age, she recognised me on a bus and came with me to a recording and then brought me home to her mother and father at about two in the morning”

Trasa Canney, Patsy Hanley, Sarah Egan & Pat Sweeney
Last night, my good buddy Ann Smith had organised a 2016 Celbration Concert so we hit off to Tuam.  There was Patsy, Pat Sweeney and a host of singers and dancers lined up to do their bit, if not for Ireland, sure Tuam would reap the benefit.  

Ann asked Sarah who was she playing with which put her off balance, we’d only come to show our support and hear a few tunes. 

No way was Sarah going on that stage but Patsy slid down beside her, for a big man he’s very gentle with his gait and in a matter of fact and conversational tone asked her to play a few tunes.  Pat Sweeney followed with a pincer movement of mischievous banter and her ladyship bounced up to the stage with them.


As they gathered the tools to exit the stage after the set Patsy said ‘Didn’t your mother tell you not to talk to strangers; sure all you have to do is play music with them, just don’t start picking them off the bus !”

3 comments:

  1. When Laura disclosed her impeccable pedigree on that bus, I kind of knew that I would end up with Peter and Renee!

    ReplyDelete